I need to tell you guys about Arif’s on Linking Road, across Shoppers Stop in Bandra. This is one fabulous shop. Fabulous as in it has left yours truly with a fabulously empty bank account and one hassled husband (who had been waiting for hours in the hope that I would soon emerge) to deal with. That said, this truly is a heaven sent shop for baking affectionados. They stock most things you would want and I am now a very happy owner or silpat mats, sugar thermometer and a million other treasured goods that I do or do not need besides kilos of dark chocolate. Orgasmic I say!
Anyway, home after a gruelling day of dentistry, confectionary kit shopping at Arifs in Bandra and braving the dampening Mumbai rains, am not so sure about being grateful for weekends. The good news is that after my childhood experience with dentistry which scarred me for life and biased me against dentists, I have now discovered that dental technology has much progressed and is today near painless (I hope I’m not speaking too soon here). The bad news is that the discovery comes late enough in the day for my teeth to have suffered enough damage because of which my head and jaw ache like hell AFTER the dentistry. The best news is that the resulting sleeplessness is inducing much blogging! Yay, I love happy endings.
Since I was craving soup and didn’t want to do much chewing, dinner today was soup. I had leftover stock from the chicken I boiled for my chicken salad and so chicken soup seemed like a good idea. Working on the fly and trying to concoct something comforting with the least effort resulted in this ginger sesame and coriander soup that is a cinch to make and is comforting and just perfect on a cold/flu infested day. So much so that I heard Atul-the-punju-boy utter words that I thought I would never hear him say. I want more soup!
Note: While this absolutely hit the spot in terms of taste and ease to prepare, clearly I need to learn how to clarify my clear soups. Unhappy about the grey murky looks of the broth and ofcourse the pictures had to speak a thousand words on that while that…
Here’s the recipe-
Aromatic Shrimp Soup
- Chicken stock - 2cups (Here is what I used)
- Prawns, medium sized- 10 pieces
- Glass noodles - one fistful
- Ginger, grated - .5 to 1 t
- Coriander , finely chopped - 2-3T
- Toasted sesame oil (I strongly recommend Lee Kum Kee)
- Bring the chicken stock to boil and add the freshly grated ginger
- Let simmer for about 3 minutes so the ginger flavour is infused into the stock
- Add the prawns and glass noodles and let simmer but not boil till the prawns are just cooked and still juicy. They should be pink but not rubbery.
- Add chopped coriander (you can also add spring onions)
- Ladle into bowls, and garnish with a few drops of the sesame oil. Slurrrrp!