A couple of months back Kanu, Namrata, Atul and I were at Don Giovannis for Coffee. Namrata and I ordered a Tiramisu and Atul turned his nose up at the idea of dessert. The Man With the Iron Will however melted when the Tiramisu arrived. We all dug into spoonfuls of the decadent dessert and I was really enjoying it when a declaration from the iron man made me see green. “This is the best Tiramisu I’ve had., I am sorry sweetheart but this is better than yours’. While the other two sniggered I slowly turned into a mottled green and decided that I needed to do something about my reputation..
3 Tiramisus later, here is the recipe that has restored my standing in polite society.
Warning: If you are an introvert, don’t try this. This cake could make you insanely popular!
- egg whites – 2
- egg yolks – 4
- sugar – 1.25 cup
- Mascarpone cheese – 2.25 cups
- strong black filter/espresso coffee cooled – 1 cup
- Grated Chocolate – 1 cup
- coffee powder – for sprinkling
- Eggs (yolk and white separated) – 7
- Sugar – .75 cups (I measured regular granulated sugar and then powdered it)
- Vanilla – 1 stick
- Warm Water – 2T
- Maida or all-purpose flour – 1.5 Cups minus 2T
- Cornflour – 2T
- Cream of Tartar – .75 T
- Powdered sugar for dusting before baking – .75 cup
- To start with the sponge, beat half the sugar with the 7 egg yolks until very thick, light and ribbons when dropped. Scrape in the vanilla seeds and warm water. Whisk well until thick again.
- Sift the flour over the egg yolk mixture without mixing. Set aside.
- Whisk the 7 egg whites till very foamy. Add the Cream of Tartar and whisk till soft peaks are formed. Add the remaining sugar and whisk till very stiff.
- Add ⅓ of the whites to the yolk mixture with a whisk or a spatula till incorporated. Repeat with the remaining whites.
- Pour into 2 rectangular baking sheets (lined with foil, greased and floured).
- Sift the powdered sugar over the sheets in an even layer.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes in a preheated oven at 400 F. (The sponge will be light golden and springy to touch). Reserve one and use the 2nd sponge for the cake.
- For the Tiramisu Cream, whisk the 2 egg whites till very light.
- Beat the 4 egg yolks and sugar separately till very pale and thick.
- Fold the mascarpone into the yolks.
- Fold in the white carefully.
- Now begin the assembly. Cut your biscuit/sponge into two pieces the shape of your Tiramisu dish. (I had fun cutting this with the kitchen scissors! Is that weird?)
- Pour the coffee evenly over the biscuit ensuring that the sponge layers are thoroughly soaked through inside out.
- Place the first layer in you dish.
- Pour in half the Tiramisu Cream
- Sprinkle an even layer of chocolate over the cream
- Place the second layer of sponge over the chocolate.
- Pour in the rest of the cream and even out.
- Sprinkle with remaining chocolate and coffee powder.
- Cool in the fridge for at least 3 hours before serving. Enjoy!!