It was a chance encounter. I was flirting with the idea of making something quick, pretty and easy. The idea was to hoodwink Atul into eating something I cook without worrying about how much butter it had. We love eggs and I am always looking at interesting ways to cook eggs that are new and enticing. So I threw together eggs and what I had on hand and baked them in muffin pans. And Voila! I thought I was being super ingenious but a quick round of Google told me that there are a bunch of bloggers out there who had already been there done that :(. What can I say?
Kalyn at kalynskitchen has a nice detailed post on this and even listed some South beach suggestions. She also lists other bloggers who have tried this.
These muffins are easy peazy and so pretty to look at. The variations are endless too. They are also great as grab and go, packed or picnic breakfasts unlike typical omelets that are best eaten fresh. This one is definitely going to be a staple at our house. Hope you like it as much as we do.
- Eggs - 9 eggs
- Chorizo - .5 c (cubed)
- Red/Yellow peppers - .25 c (cubed)
- Grated cheese - .75 c (I used a mix of cheddar and mozzarella. You could use whichever ones you fancy)
- Garlic - 4 cloves (crushed)
- Spring Onion Greens - 4T chopped
- Basil - 2T chopped
- Milk or cream - .25 c
- Pepper Mill - For grinding
- Salt - As per taste
- Preheat oven to 285 degrees Celsius
- Lightly beat the eggs
- Add milk and beat to ensure its incorporated well
- Add all other ingredients, stir well to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Pour into well greased (and preferably lined) muffin pans
- Bake till puffy, golden and set ( about 20 minutes)
- Let muffins cool for a few minutes before removing from the muffin pan. Loosen gently with knife if they stick.
Mushroom, onions and thyme
Zucchini, onions and thyme
Basil, tomatoes and olives
Potatoes, rosemary and garlic
Spinach, paneer or feta, nutmeg
Other additions: Corn, Beans, Bacon, Smoked or Boiled Shredded Chicken, Jalapenos... the list is endless.
Eat immediately or let cool completely and store in plastic bag in refrigerator. Now quickly try this recipe with your favorite flavours. And let me know what worked for you.