I LOVE mashed potatoes but then who doesn’t? On the other hand, I have never been much impressed with baked potatoes..till recently when I had one at the Indigo Cafe in Andheri. Holy Moly… it was incredible. The sour cream dripping over the moist, fluffy potatoes were so good, they totally overshadowed the fabulous pulled pork burger which, by the way, is to die for in the first place. (So much so, that even as I type this, Atul who is peering over my shoulder, threatens to start a rival blog dedicated to his beloved burger)
Inspired by the baked potato at Indigo, craving a fabulous breakfast the next day but far too lazy to do too much about it, this one came to be in a flash of greed and sloth. Creamy scrambled eggs melting into a steaming soft potato moistened with soft butter and beautiful cheese all topped off with strips of pepperoni. If you have a microwave, there is NO excuse to not make this. Especially if you are short of time. Or lazy. Or greedy. Or hungry. Or me. And even more so if you have been asking me for quick easy breakfast recipes.
- Eggs - 2
- Potatoes (either 2 medium-sized or 1 large one)
- Grated Cheese (I used cheddar but you could go for any favourite cheese of yours) - 2-3 tablespoons
- Pepperoni - 2 slices, cut into thin strips (you could also use fried bits of bacon instead)
- Butter - 1.5 teaspoon
- Cream - 1 teaspoon (optional
- Start with the potatoes. Cut an X into the potato - about half an inch deep. Do not cut all the way through. Also stab the potato with a fork all over about 5 or 6 times.
- Wrap the potatoes in cling film or moistened paper and microwave on high for about 3 minutes. At 3 minutes, stop and press the potato to see that its soft and gives way. If it seems a bit hard on pressing, microwave in increments of a minute or so till done. A largish Indian potato should bake in about 5 minutes. If you are cooking with much bigger potatoes (like the american ones), it would probably need longer and I would also recommend, turning it over in the middle of the cooking time to ensure even cooking.
- While the potatoes are cooking, put half a teaspoon of butter and crack 2 eggs into a cold pan. Turn the heat on to as low as possible and stir the eggs constantly. Cook till you achieve a consistency that s creamy and just set. Add a bit of cold butter or cream to bring down the heat and retard further cooking.The eggs will continue to cook so be careful to undercook rather than over and immediately remove the eggs from the pan.
- Remove the cling film or paper that is wrapping the potato. Be careful so you don't scald yourself with the hot steam, press the potato to open it up and place half to one teaspoon on the butter in the cavity. If you are not butter-shy, go ahead and add some more.. till your heart says you can stop. This is the only way to know how much butter is too much. Add the grated cheese into the cavity and microwave again for another 30 seconds.
- Lay the potatoes on the serving dish, top with the scrambled eggs and pepperoni strips and serve immediately.